How to Add Touch ID Fingerprints to your iPhone or iPad

Recently I upgraded to an iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8. One of my favorite new features is Touch ID which allows me to unlock my phone using my fingerprint vs. a typical Passcode. You simply place a finger over the home button and the phone unlocks based on your fingerprint. Because you can add more than one finger, it’s super convenient, secure and easy to setup. Here’s how to configure it on an iPhone or iPad.

Touch ID for iPhone

Tap Settings, Touch ID & Passcode

iOS Settings - Add Fingerprint to Touch ID Tap Touch ID & Passcode - Add Fingerprint to Touch ID

Being that you’re messing with the security settings of your device, Apple wants to make sure it’s you – so enter your passcode when prompted.

Enter Passcode - Add Fingerprint to Touch ID

Tap Add a Fingerprint.

Note: After using my iPhone 6 Plus for a few days, I found my Index finger and my two thumbprints are the most handy to have on file. My wife added one of her fingers also for easy access to my iPad.

Tap Add a Fingerprint - Add Fingerprint to Touch ID

Your phone will prompt you to Place your Finger on the Home button several times.

Place your Finger - Add Fingerprint to Touch ID

After placing your finger on the home button several times, your iPhone / iPad will capture all aspects of your fingerprint. Progress is displayed by filling out a fingerprint on your screen. Follow the prompts until the full scan is completed.

Note: Although the device will prompt you to lift your finger, each time your print is read, your iPhone will vibrate. Lift your finger and place it again when prompted.

Follow prompts while your iOS Captures your finger image

When completed, your new Fingerprint will be listed as Finger 1, Finger 2, etc…

All Fingerprints will be displayed in your Touch ID & Passcode Screen

If you ever want to remove a fingerprint, simple swipe it left and tap delete.

A nice side benefit of unlocking your iOS device with Touch ID is your kids can no longer spy on you while you’re unlocking it with a passcode. That said, hopefully they won’t get any wild ideas in that regard… 😉

, , ,

6 Responses to How to Add Touch ID Fingerprints to your iPhone or iPad

1. jjkitc December 27, 2014 at 4:14 am #

Why doesn’t my iPad have ‘Touch ID & Passcode’? In ‘Settings’ it only lists ‘Passcode’

• Steve Krause December 27, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

Hey there. Thanks for your question. One things I should have put into the article is that Touch ID is only available in the latest versions of the iPad and iPhone. Here’s the list devices that support Touch ID:

* iPhone 5S
      * iPhone 6
      * iPhone 6 Plus
      * iPad Air 2
      * iPad Mini 3
      * Future iPhones and iPads (obviously)

So if you have a device earlier than the list below, unfortunately your device won’t support it…

-S

2. Farzwan February 19, 2015 at 3:59 am #

i know how to add upto ten fingers
    in the first step of configuring touch id give the fingerprint of 1 finger and in the next step give the print of an other finger which then allows you to open your apple device with both fingers and if you do that in 5 fingerprints you can unlock it with upto 10 fingers
    Thanks,
    Farzwan Mohamed

3. Jyoti March 23, 2015 at 11:22 am #

Hi,

I can give all my 5 fingers of one hand in just one fingerprint and can unlock with any of my finger. Shouldn’t it be just one finger per fingerprint?

Thanks

4. Joyce September 25, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

So I just updated my i Pad with the fingerprint and passcode. However stupidly made a note of the passcode on the i pad, intending to write it down elsewhere also. Now for some reason my i Pad is not accepting my fingerprint, it wants my passcode, which I don’t have. What do I do now, I can’t open my i Pad?

5. Help March 13, 2016 at 10:48 am #

So I have an iPhone 5s but the Touch ID doesn’t pop up in Settings. I’m not sure why. Anyone??