Resize Multiple Photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery

The need to resize a few photos always seems to be a part of my daily routine. Unlike most people, however, I hate having separate applications for everything and I try to find apps that are all-in-one. A good example would be Windows Live Photo Gallery – a great image viewer, editor and resizer. Not sure about the last one? Allow me to prove it.

Resize Photos in Live Photo Gallery

Here I have a folder of some photos I want to prepare for posting on the web. Unlucky for me, their resolution is 6007×3994 (24 MP). Time to resize them.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery

I’ll open the first photo in Photo Gallery and click the Edit, organize or share button on the top left.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery eit organize share

This will bring me to the folder view in Photo Gallery, from where I can select multiple items.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery interface main folder

I can do that my using the small check box for each image on the top left, or with the good old Ctrl + Click. photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery images select multiple tick ctrl control click feature

After selecting, I can Right-click and pick Resize.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery resize context menu button

This will open the Resize window. From here I can use the drop down menu to select from a set of predefined sizes, or click Custom to enter my own dimensions.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery size dropdown menu select

For this set of images, I’ll chose my maximum width and height to be 1000 pixels.

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery maximum dimensions manually enter size pixels width height

I will also click the Browse button to define a location where I want my photos to be saved. (optional)

photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery browse button directory locate export resized images

I’ll create a new folder where I’ll store only the resized photos.photos resizing tutorial windows live photo gallery resize define directory make new folder browse for folder dialog

20 Responses to Resize Multiple Photos with Windows Live Photo Gallery

1. Mike July 18, 2013 at 6:58 am #

Maybe this was a no-brainer for some people. But this post just made me weep with joy. We have a very small staff and host lots of events. We have a pretty good camera and take tons of pictures. The monthly re-sizing nightmare just got so much easier. Thank you.

• Stefan July 18, 2013 at 7:04 am #

Thanks for commenting Mike! :)
      Glad you found the article useful.

2. Gary July 18, 2013 at 7:29 am #

This sounds good, but is Windows Live Photo Gallery a free program? Also, it sounds like it might store photos as well. If so, how much space do they give you?

Thank you!

Gary

• Mike July 18, 2013 at 7:34 am #

Gary – I used my search bar to look for Windows Live Photo Gallery and it was already on there. So, I don’t know if it was free, but I had it!

And the newly resized photos are stored on your computer just like your existing ones. I created a new folder called “Resized” and put them in there.

3. reholmes July 18, 2013 at 8:46 am #

I’m a loyal Picasa fan, been using it forever, but it has one major failing–OK, maybe more than one–there is no select-and-click resize option.

Thanks,

• Steve Krause July 18, 2013 at 10:10 am #

True…. That would be a nice feature. What I do is I select the images I want to resize and export them. While exporting them you get the option to resize them. Not a 1 stop process but it works.

• reholmes July 18, 2013 at 10:49 am #

. . . and I suppose an advantage is that you can “pin” files from many folders and export/resize all at once. I didn’t note how you could do that in Photo Gallery.

4. SueJ July 19, 2013 at 4:58 am #

This post landed in my inbox on the exact day that I needed it :-) Thank you!

5. NoelH July 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm #

Windows Live Photo Gallery is a great program and have been using it for 4 years now to tag all my more than 20,000 photos. After tagging it is easy to locate a particular photo. In addition I use the resize function to resize the photos and save them on a 2GB SD card for my digital photoframe. As the digital photoframe needs a maximum width of about 600 pixels, you can save at least 40K photos on the SD card giving you nearly a week of photo show without repeating.

6. Eleanor H August 3, 2013 at 8:54 am #

I use live photo gallery when I sell items on EBay
    Now I can resize the photos with your tip.
    Many thanks.

• Steve Krause August 3, 2013 at 10:49 am #

You’re very welcome Eleanor! Welcome to the gP Community.

7. Crystal February 2, 2015 at 7:56 am #

Thanks! – I forgot how to do this… needed the reminder!

8. Debra August 3, 2015 at 2:35 pm #

Thanks for your help! Appreciate it!!

9. Rod September 15, 2015 at 5:39 pm #

Doesn’t work for me – trying to resize a 1000×668 photo to 1920×1281…used the custom option set at 1920 and all it does it rename the image with a (100×668) on it and it remains the same size??

10. Bhuboy de Leon March 4, 2016 at 10:12 pm #

Just what I am looking for, My job involves taking workplace safety deficiencies, and to send it to contractors, my colleague is doing it one by one that’s why I do a search and lander here in your blog, thanks for this

11. Bhuboy March 8, 2016 at 3:53 am #

This is really great, I became popular in my office when I teach them this, what takes us long hours took us minutes now

12. Ravenna3 March 25, 2016 at 9:45 am #

Just got this program, yesterday, and need help finding the option to NOT put the photo size, such as “(1024×768)”, in the file name. due to the long, long paths on my computer, I have to keep my file names short. Does anyone know how do this? I have to resize HUNDREDS of photos, and do not want to have to rename them all, as well.

13. Noel March 25, 2016 at 11:50 am #

Hi Ravenna3!

I let the program leave the photo size in the name and when I have finished re-sizing, I just go through and bulk rename the batch to to something I will recognise. In my case it is 2015Q1_ for example. If there is more than one picture Windows will automatically add an individual number to each photo.

regards

Noel

14. Ravenna3 March 25, 2016 at 12:02 pm #

That’s a good idea. However, I already renamed the files with the names I wanted, including the various dates and order they were taken. Afterwards, I was allowed to get this program to resize them. Would be nice if this program had a simple option of leaving the file size out of the filename.

(I am dealing with archiving hundreds of old photos from a number of security cameras, that were operating 24/7 over a period of a year. So, I have already invested days of renaming the files using the bulk rename in Windows Explorer.)